Advertisement - Guide continues below
Moving the Ark: Take Two
- Operation Let's Move This Ark was a bit of a failure the first time around, but David is confident that a second try is going to be successful.
- This time only Levi's tribe helps with Ark transportation. Way back in Exodus, God entrusted them and only them with the care of the tabernacle and the Ark, and David wants to do things old-school.
- He also gets together all of Aaron's descendants. Aaron was Moses' brother and the first high priest, so his kin are the only ones fit to be priests in David's day, too.
- This time, everyone follows all the correct rules (like carrying the Ark on poles instead of trying to touch it with human hands).
- David's also a big music fan (he wrote all those psalm songs) so he has the Levites appoint musicians and singers to play in celebration of the Ark's trip.
- It works because the Ark makes the trip from Obed-edom's house to Jerusalem without incident.
- When the Ark comes into town everyone is super psyched. David's dressed in some fabulous attire and he dances with everyone while all of Israel celebrates and sings.
- Everyone except David's first wife, Michal, that is.
- She also happens to be ex-King Saul's daughter and she pretty much despises David and the Ark.
More on 1 Chronicles